Monday, November 12, 2007

My Dream Job – a Jacqueline of All Trades for All Ages

-- Rachel Wright

As an unhappy Psychology-degree-seeking sophomore, I decided it was time to make a change. I spent sixteen hours on the career planning program at Tulsa Community College, where I spent my first two years of school-after-high-school, or as some called it 13th and 14th grade. Either way, I had no idea what I wanted to do. But, I knew I didn’t want a job that would leave me emotionally drained at the end of the day, with no energy for my family and friends. And, I knew how much I loved writing and traveling so my initial thought was print journalism.

After looking into print journalism and speaking with professionals in the field at local newspapers and magazines, I decided that desk-bound, deadline-driven lifestyle was a bit closer to what I wanted, minus the desk. I love being on deadline, I adore writing and I get itchy feet after staying in one place for more than six months. The fast-paced ever-globalizing world of firm PR seemed right up my alley.

Then I started thinking, but what about if I have kids or (gasp) find someone to marry? Then I won’t want to be traveling all over, working eighty hours a week. Money will be important, but I’d like to think not as important as my family would be. So corporate PR presents itself. More of a nine-to-five, amazing benefits gig, corporate PR often offers more stability for those who sadly consider dental and vision to be perks.

Then the tree-hugger in me reared its ever present head. I’m not ashamed of my eco-loving soul, but it’s definitely not the best of me. I started thinking, what about when I’m ready to retire? Will this degree and the life it sets forth for me offer an alternative to sitting at home when I don’t have to work forty hours a week anymore? When I’m too stiff from arthritis (thank you young, crazy years) to reach the most extreme places on our planet, what will I do? Well, then I can work for in nonprofit pr and go home at the end of the day knowing I’m contributing to the greater good.

So, it seems, public relations has all of my concerns squashed. Now, as the thought of graduation goes from a distant whisper to an ear-piercing scream, forget what I want to do forty years from now, or even ten years from now. What do I want to do, come December, to support myself, make the best of my education and enjoy life? Work for a company that’s full of people with the same ideas. I think I’ve found it: Text 100.
Text 100 is a technology-based PR firm with North American offices in Boston, Rochester, NYC, Seattle and San Francisco. The firm offers a uniquely generous vacation leave and benefits packages, with employees’ first year’s vacation of thirty-two paid days off and benefits extending to partners, not just spouses. Text 100 also started its own trend called Duvet Days. Employees are allowed two days a year on which they are allowed to pull the duvet back over their faces and go back to bed, with pay and with no explanation to the firm. Text 100 works with high-profile clients such as Xerox and even helping to launch Microsoft Vista.

Here’s what Text 100 web site says they’re offering:
Account Coordinator: A great place to start your PR career. As a Text 100 account coordinator, you support several account teams. Typically you’ll be tracking press clips, assisting in research, maintaining media contact lists, and supporting media relations. This is a stepping-stone to becoming a full account executive and a great way to learn the nuances of PR.
So, yes, it’s an entry level spot. As horrible as all the stories of coffee-running and late nights we’ve heard from our elder graduate friends are, why not start (and possibly continue with, or finish with) a company that has its employees in mind?
My long-term goal is to work in the travel industry, maybe for the Travel Channel or to write for Travel magazine or Frommer’s, Lonely Planet, or Rough Guide. I need to do more research in that area, but my current internship with the Oklahoma Department of Tourism and Recreation’s magazine, Oklahoma Today is a good start. This Friday, Statehood Day, I plan to shine up the ol’ resume and find more tourism departments looking for young professionals like me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well, after reading your blog, I have to admit that you have had some serious debating about your career path! I think that it's awesome that you have found a firm that you are interested in that wont squash your future plans of family and retirement. But what is the rush? Why not seek the job that has you traveling all over the world while you still can? Of course, eventually, you will want to begin a family, but until then you are still young and ambitious and will have worlds to see...literally! You are only young once, and if traveling all over the world and writing is what you love right now, I think you should go for it. Cross the 'family bridge' when you come to it!