Wednesday, December 12, 2007

William Scheihing's Guide to Design


Group work is something that people either love or hate. Usually it is the people doing all the work that hate it, and those who put in the minimal effort tend to favor it. Regardless, sometime in a college atmosphere you will be put into groups and assigned work which you may or may not know how to do.

In this class, the groups were assigned and the tasks were assigned within the groups. One of my responsibilities was to design. At first, this seemed like a daunting task. I don’t have much experience in design, except for the required publication course. Of course the first thing I did was get on the InDesign program and then proceeded to stare blankly at the screen hoping inspiration would strike at some point. After I wasted an hour of my time that I will never get back, I started to remember some of the things they mentioned in the publication class.

So I will list some of these tips that helped me create instead of just sitting. One of the first things I did was get out a piece of scratch paper and started doodling. I just drew everything that came to mind. The results may not be amazing but at least the ball is rolling.

The next step I took was looking at other publications for inspiration. The internet makes looking at publication examples incredibly simple. I found the good, the bad, and the ugly examples of desktop publishing/creating.

After I found some examples I went back to my scratch paper and continued to draw. I finally found something I thought would fit our group well and thirty minutes later it was completed and printed.

Life and especially this class require time management. My strategy might not work for everyone, but it might just save you hours of time in Gaylord.

Here are some web sites I recommend for digital inspiration:

http://www.logodesignpros.com

http://www.logmagic.com

http://www.desktoppub.about.com

No comments: