Thursday, November 1, 2007

Sony BMG and RCA PR



As May 9 and graduation seems to creep closer and closer, the inevitable job search has begun. It is so strange to think of myself as a senior in college, as I never thought that this year would come. When I entered the college as a freshmen, I had no idea what I wanted to do with my life. It wasn’t until the second semester of my sophomore year that I decided the major of Public Relations. The initial glitz that attracted me to public relations was the promotional aspect of the major and future careers offered.

As the job search begins, I am first trying to decide where it is that I would like to live and my options seem endless. I know that I definietly plan on moving out of Oklahoma, as the music record labels in Oklahoma are very limited. I know for a fact that I want to be involved in the music business and my ideal job would be working for a record label doing promotions for the bands represented. This could take me anywhere, from New York to Los Angeles to Europe.

I have looked into Sony BMG Music Entertainment, as they have a variety of record labels across the country. The Sony music label that interests me the most is RCA Records. The RCA record label is intrigueing to me because it represents artists that I listen to on a daily basis. This tells me that I will be better at promoting these bands, since I genuinely enjoy the artists. Artists such as Imogen Heap, The Strokes, Velvet Revolver and Kasabian are all represented by the RCA music label.

The RCA music label is a label that has survived the test of time. This is very important when choosing a career. To be able to work in a stable environment is a factor that should not be taken lightly, as it could determine your job stability in the future. To be able to work in an industry that I love (music), would make every sacrifice and every hour spent completely worthwhile. I initially want to begin working in a record label and will do anything from an internship to being an assistant. I hope to eventually be able to work up to the head of the promotional department at the same record label.

No comments: