Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Living the Dream

Kim Cameron
11/07/07


Living the Dream

All of my life I have dreamed of working in the entertainment industry. I enjoyed reading, writing and planning which lead to my decision to major in public relations. I soon realized right around the end of my sophomore year that I wanted to pursue being working for an entertainment public relations firm. I would be in charge of promoting anything to do with entertainment, celebrities, movie, music and more. My best friend Lauren also shared my dream though hers was more towards event planning. We had every class together and loved it.

In our spare time we used to search for internships and jobs online at sites such as Entertainment Careers and ShowBiz Jobs. We were lucky enough to be interviewed for a position with Hype Public Relations in Los Angeles, California. I was grateful that we had friends living in L.A. that let us crash on their couch and free plane tickets since Lauren’s dad works for an airline. It was a dream come true! We interned at Hype the entire summer which further solidified my desire to work in the entertainment industry. We were put in charge of promoting such brand names as T-Mobile and MTV and throwing star studded parties. Sometimes we did boring stuff like get coffee or make copies but other times we were getting free gift bags from the parties we helped put together and hanging out with celebrities like Jamie Foxx.

At the end of the summer we were offered full time jobs with Hype. Lauren chose to stay and I chose to come home, finish my last year of school and receive my degree. It was extremely difficult to leave and there are times where I think both Lauren and I wish we could trade places for a day but I know in my heart I made the right decision for me. After my internship I now feel more confident in graduating with the experience Hype gave me and I don’t feel quite as nervous as I used to about pursuing my dream because I know there will always be a place for me at Hype.

No comments: