Monday, March 9, 2009

John Losinger Account Executive at Public Strategies, Inc.

By Brian Russell





For my interview I chose John Losinger who works at Public Strategies, Inc. in Dallas, Texas. The title of Losinger’s position is account executive. He joked in telling me that the job title is a bit of a misnomer. “ I don’t really deal with finances , nor am I an “executive”.

Losinger has a different background than most would think to get to his position in public relations. John graduated from Southern Methodist University with a major in Political Science/ Public Policy. His next stop on his journey led him to Washington D.C. for a year to work in politics. After that he moved back to Texas, where he continued working in politics by helping with a Congressional primary campaign. After his time on the campaign trail Losinger went to grad school at (UT Austin) and graduated with a Master of Public Policy from their LBJ School. Three months later he started working at Public Strategies, Inc.

As I spoke to Losinger he was telling me the importance of being able to think on your feet and have adaptability in the workplace. “A lot of PR work involves dealing with fast-moving situations, many of which no one has encountered before,” said Losinger. He was also telling me about the importance of communication with your peers. This is something that I have found very important while working on campaigns, is that the entire group needs to have the same information and is on the same page so the information that is being distributed gets the message out in the same manner.

When I asked John what advice he has for future PR professionals? His answer was simple; get plenty of sleep now.

No comments: