Monday, April 20, 2009


The Importance of Networking in Public Relations by Heather Anderson

In the public relations industry networking is the key. Whether you are networking for a job or for the organization you are representing, building relationships with others is the most crucial aspect of public relations. Obviously having a talent with words is the most important skill needed to be successful in this industry, but without strong relationships with the public, your work will not be seen. 

Getting involved with professional organizations is a great way to network professionally, such as PRSA. The use of social networking sites (FacebookMySpaceLinkedIn, and Twitter) are becoming more and more popular for public relations professionals in and out of the office. These sites are wonderful for not only gaining attention for your organization, but also to create relationships with those who can help you find new strategies, trends, and jobs. It is extremely useful to become well acquainted with individuals who are media gatekeepers. Obtaining contacts in different media outlets allows you to become an even greater asset to your organization when media attention is needed. 

The great thing about networking is that you can do it anytime anywhere. I recently went to Washington D.C. to attend the Young Women's Leadership Conference. Throughout my trip I took advantage of every opportunity available to network for potential job openings and individual's whose expertise could benefit my professional career. On the plane I met a man who works for Epworth Villa in Oklahoma City who gave me some advice on the job market, his card, and the contact information of successful individuals in public relations. I also met several professionals at the conference in D.C., including one at aWiteck Combs Communications that asked for my resume on the spot. This just goes to show everyone that being prepared to network at any time can lead to many opportunities in public relations.   

4 comments:

Dara said...

Great post, Heather! Networking is becoming a must for professionals everywhere and especially for students entering the job market. With the current state of the economy, jobs are hard to find and keep. I think the best way to network is through just going out and meeting people like you did at your conference and on your flight! I like social networking sites, but I think face-to-face contact is a better relationship building tool. However, social sites do help, too!

-Dara Pickering

Anonymous said...

The importance of networking is something that I am finding is invaluable! I had an internship based on a family connection which turned into another internship at OU. Currently I am trying to use my networking skills to get my first big girl job. I think it is interesting how there is such a stress on networking but it's not really taught or discussed much in PR classes. I know that you can't learn how to interact with people, but tips or guidelines of how to build and maintain business relationships would be a good addition to the curriculum.

FARA said...

Heather this is great! I believe that networking is the key to success. I recall the saying, "it's not what you know but who you know, " and it is definetly true. A lot of times we go to class everyday aiming to make that 4.0 every semester when our competition is out there networking with PR professionals and taking our spots. As a NABJ member, I have been to two conferences where there have been extensive opportunities to network with both big and small companies and it is at those moment where we create those relationships with people who have the jobs that we someday want to have. You would be suprised how much power the exchange of a buisness card can be; at times life changing. I am a firm believer in networking. We live during an era where everything is digital, meaning you do not even have to leave the comfort of your home to land an awesome interview for a big job. Social medias as facebook and especially the new Twitter epidemic is playing a huge part in meeting people at the click of a button.

Leslie Koch said...

I love this post! I think that in PR we hear about networking so much that it almost becomes background noise. This year I have realized how important it really is and how simple it truly is. The relationships you build with others is an invaluable asset in your career and life! I really enjoyed your post!