Saturday, April 19, 2008

This Is My Dream Job


This Is My Dream Job
By Holly Jones

Music has always been my passion. I remember purchasing my first
album when I was very young. After high school I worked at a music store and know about music, songs, and artists you’ve probably never heard of. I loved it and would eventually love to work in the industry. This semester, as the pr coordinator for the Norman Arts Council, I have gotten a little taste of that industry. The NAC has been planning a music festival that will take place Saturday, April 26, in downtown Norman.

I have been working as media relations director, marketing director and have been working with a team of pr students from OU who have helped me with some of the responsibilities. As well as another individual who has experience working with bands and promoting a festival.
Today my team and I were calling the media to find out their interest in the festival. We wanted to know if they would need passes, let them know what times certain bands would be doing interviews and let them know the guidelines for media the day of the festival. We also were calling the bands promotional contact. Since most of the bands were local, it was usually someone in the band. But, I called The Polyphonic Spree and that made my day!
My internship with the Norman Arts Council has been the perfect job for me in PR. I absolutely love the two ladies I work with, the office always has interesting art on the wall, I get paid to promote the arts and best of all the dress code includes jeans!

Wimgo.com and Fowler Auto Group present the first annual
Norman Music Festival to be held from noon to 11:30pm on Saturday, April 26, 2008. The festival is free and open to the public and will take place on the 100, 200 and 300 blocks of historic Downtown East Main Street, east of the railroad tracks in the Arts District. The Polyphonic Spree will headline the event along with The Octopus Project, British Sea Power, and a reunited Chainsaw Kittens.

No comments: