Friday, March 27, 2009

Rick Buchanan, Oklahoma Legend


By: Angenene Kendrick


While attending the Oklahoma Republican Party Candidate School last year, I had the pleasure of meeting a practicing professional who has served in media relations from small town projects all the way to the governor’s office.

Rick Buchanan spent part of the afternoon explaining the difference between earned media (public relations) and paid media (advertising) attention. Although most of it was review to me, I sat with a group of students who were learning it for the first time.

Rick served as Governor Frank Keating’s press secretary from 1995 to 2001. Keating was very generous in his verbal style when he offered remarks about almost everything. He kept Buchanan very busy at times. When asked about the experience, Rick commented, “Gotta love Frank!”

Rick has worked in broadcast marketing at KWTV and is now with the Oklahoma County Commissioner’s office. Although he didn’t admit it to me, I understand that he does some ghost writing for a few organizations. I’m not going to reveal that source.

Because of his experience in Oklahoma politics, I asked him to explain how they work. He said, “You're dealing with egos and personalities and power. Power always gets in the way. It's a great study, however.”

Rick is an awesome resource. When I am working on a project and am unsure to whom in the Oklahoma City media market I should be targeting, Rick is very helpful in showing me direction. He seems to be very well connected. I appreciate his efforts.

When I asked him about advice, he said, “Politics are everywhere. Learn how to play with the big kids, and you can politic anywhere.”

Rick is full of insight and encouragement. Most of the people whom I’ve spoken with about him and his illustrious career have shared very positive stories about him.

Rick lives in Edmond and enjoys photography, golf and spending time with his two daughters.

No comments: