Monday, November 9, 2009

Figure out what you love and DO IT!


By: Alex Marcus

They say the most satisfying job you can have is one that you love, and for me that would involve working in the entertainment industry. Before college I had no idea what field I wanted to study, but having strong communication and writing skills and an interest in the media and entertainment, I decided to pursue public relations.

Although I enjoyed my public relations classes, I was still not satisfied. I wanted to dig deeper and learn more about public relations specifically in the entertainment industry. That is when I researched internships. It was my second semester sophomore year and I really knew nothing about obtaining an internship, so I got help from Heather Spencer. She provided a brief demonstration on how to search internships on HIRESOONER and that is where I saw a posting for the Oklahoma Film and Music Office.

I had a resume although it was not very extensive, but did not have a cover letter. Feeling somewhat less than confident, I thought I would send the internship coordinator an e-mail and take my chances. To my surprise, I got a call within a few weeks, and was hired as an intern. I was overwhelmed with excitement because I would finally get experience working in the industry I love.

My role as an intern enabled me to develop proficiency in social skills, organization, creativity, and event coordination. In addition, I was able to fine-tune new skills quickly and efficiently. I was assigned a lot of tasks that really challenged my public relations abilities including press release writing, extensive research on bands and music venues, regular website postings and providing assistance in planning events. One of the greatest experiences for me was being assigned the task of planning a music video screening for the City Arts Under the Influence event. This task required me to make contact with Oklahoma bands, like Starlight Mints, Cecada, Mama Sweet and The Flaming Lips. I then obtained music videos from them for the first music video screening the office had ever initiated.

Aside from daily office tasks, I was able to participate in and help out at various events including deadCENTER Film Festival, the Oklahoma Creatives Event, the Norman Music Festival and Another Hot Oklahoma Night, which was the dedication for the Oklahoma Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Not only were these events a blast, but also a great source for networking. In fact, at one event I met a man who took interest in my hopes to pursue a career in the music industry and invited me to attend a concert set up for Kenny Chesney, where I learned all about what goes on behind the scenes.

Throughout my three semesters working at the Oklahoma Film and Music Office, I learned a lot of valuable skills, which will help contribute to my success as I start to travel down an exciting career path.

My advice to you is:

1. Figure out what you love and go after it! Knowing that I had a love for the music industry really encouraged me to seek out an internship in that field. Although I’ve learned a lot in my PR classes, I would never have had the opportunity to experience the industry in which I hope to work without applying for my internship.

2. Just because you have skills doesn’t mean you can’t strengthen them. I already had strong communication and writing skills going into my internship, however the position really enabled me to expand those skills within my chosen field. It is really beneficial when you can use your skills outside the classroom.

3. Don’t pass up any opportunities for networking! Whether you have an internship or not, attend events in your chosen field. It is amazing how many people you can meet and how many are actually willing to talk to you. They may not necessarily offer you a job, but those people you meet know other people who know other people and it keeps going from there. Networking is the key to new opportunities.

4. Have fun! Whatever career you choose, have fun with it and be passionate because happiness leads to ultimate success.

Photo provided by Alex Marcus: Me pictured with Wayne Coyne of The Flaming Lips

No comments: