Monday, November 2, 2009

Interning is the Key

Don't Be Afraid to Go Outside the Box
By Jason Bodin

My college experience at the University of Oklahoma has been one of a kind. I began my collegiate career as a public relations major, but I didn’t even know what a public relations practitioner was or did.


Since my freshman year I worked for an oil and gas company as a landman and lease buyer. Even though many of my professors and peers had explained to me the importance of internships I never considered quitting my job to begin my career in public relations. However, I searched for answers as to why I wanted to be in public relations and found them during my second semester of sophomore year. That semester I was enrolled in Kenny Mossman’s sports pr course.


After excelling in his course he asked me if I was interested in joining his staff as an intern. Like many I was skeptical of quitting my high-paying job for a non-paying internship. In the end I knew I needed to get my feet wet in public relations. I interviewed with the department staff and eventually got the job. Since joining the staff I have learned a world of information and have found my niche in public relations. Hopefully the information I learned will help many of you realize how important it is to intern early and often.


(1) Don’t be scared to quit your job and begin interning in public relations.

I have had to work throughout college and the thought of making little-to-no money is a scary thought, but it pays off in the long run. For the first semester of my internship I worked 30 hours a week for free, but after working hard I began making minimum wage. Even though it isn’t close to what I made when working in the oil and gas field I look at it as an investment for my future and so should you.


(2) Even though your internship may be non-paying give it your all.

Most internships are non-paying and most people slack-off because of it. Had I not worked my butt off I wouldn’t have been put in the position to make money. Also, these are the people that control your life, to a degree. If you work hard an employer is more likely to reference you for a high-profile job in the future. Make the most of every opportunity and it will payoff.


(3) Make the most of your dollar.

You pay a lot of money for your degree so make sure you’re getting your moneys worth. Use Gaylord college resources to get an internship. I found an internship by using the resources I had, my professor. I know there are a number of internships posted by Dr. C and a number of other professors.


Photo Courtesy of Mitch Heckart

No comments: