Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Come On Down!


Come On Down!

By Christie Gunn


Those who know me the best can say without a doubt what my dream job is; I often talk about how great it would be. Of course, the job I am referring to is being a game show host. I can think of nothing more fun than giving away money to my fellow trivia-fanatics.


Whether it is Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, Cash Cab or Double Dare, I will watch it. I am non-discriminating game show fan. I think game shows have it all: competition, suspense, victory. And I would love to be part of it.


Not to mention, the job itself would be pretty nice. The host’s only true responsibility, other than reading off the teleprompter, is to chat with the contestants throughout the show. I think I could handle that. Plus, the game show host always seems like the smartest person in the room, because he or she as all the answers while contestants have to guess.


Though it may not be the most obvious application for a PR degree, I feel that what I have learned at OU has prepared me for the intricacies of the game-show-host profession. I can put my public relations skills to use when dealing with the media, speaking in front of groups or even writing copy for the broadcast.


While I realize not everyone is on the edge of his or her seat as the music plays in Final Jeopardy, I would love to be the person with all the answers telling people to "help control the pet population; have your pet spayed or neutered."

No comments: