Saturday, May 3, 2008

My Happily Ever After



My Happily Ever After

By Holly Roberts

My ultimate PR dream job is really divided into two different aspects: event planning and crisis management. However, while there are two different outlets, there is really only one company: Disney.

I began working for Disney during the spring of 2006 as a Disney College Program Intern. This is crucial to beginning a career with Disney because many of their professional internships and various other positions list being a college program intern as a requirement.

I immediately fell in love with the company and the location. Even though I was far from Oklahoma, I immediately identified Cinderella’s castle as my home away from home!

As previously mentioned, I have two dream jobs within the Disney company. The first one is to be a Disney wedding planner. Many of my internships since my stay in Orlando have begun to prepare for this role. In fact, I have been able to help plan events for Frontier City and Susan G. Komen for the Cure. I am confidant that these experiences have helped prepare for this portion of my dream career.

The next department within Disney that holds particular meaning to me is that of crisis management. After I took a course in crisis management from Dr. Shari Veil here at OU, I developed a definite desire to pursue a career in that area. I plan to expand upon this desire and return for graduate school in a few years with an emphasis in this area.

While Disney is an extremely difficult company to join straight of college, I am confidant that dreams come true and anything is possible with faith, trust and a little bit of pixie dust!

No comments: