Friday, May 2, 2008

I heart New York

I heart New York
Carrie Musch

When I was a senior in high school, I expressed an interest in public relations. My dad introduced me to the director of communications at a local hospital. I shadowed her for a day and became infatuated with the field. My interest in public relations was confirmed.


After interning at the hospital for two summers, I became interested in media relations. A hospital is an excellent opportunity to become exposed to media relations because there is so much activity. Media outlets are constantly looking to hospitals for news stories and the latest health and technology information. It is something I have become passionate about and hope to make a career out of it.


During my junior year, I decided I was going to pursue a PR internship in New York because of my love for the city and because it is the PR capital of the world. I secured an internship with Fleishman-Hillard’s Healthcare group. While there, I gained invaluable PR agency experience and a deeper appreciation for the city. I knew that I would return when I graduated from OU in May.


I will be moving to New York May 19. When I do, I will be that much closer to combining two of my dreams – a career in media relations and a life in New York. I hope to follow in the footsteps of another OU alumni, Jake Basden, who is a media relations guru and recently won PR Week’s Young PR Professional of the Year. I don’t know which firm I’ll work for (there are so many choices – Ogilvy and DeVries and Manning Selvage & Lee! Oh, my!), but I’m excited!

No comments: