Friday, May 2, 2008

Music makes world go round


Good music and concerts have always been a huge part of my life. I love discovering independent up-and-coming bands and watching them grow and flourish. Therefore, my dream job in PR is be the director of publicity and/or promotions for a large record label so I could work with these bands and help give them the credit and resources they deserve.

Last summer I worked in the marketing department of TriStar/Screen Gems at Sony Pictures Entertainment, and my supervisor was the director of promotions for these studios. Watching her work and working closely with showed me what is required for a job like this in this competitive, fast-paced and exciting industry. This job requires creativity, organization, time/stress management, and good networking. In order to reach out to other companies for promotional partnerships, the person needs to be extremely professional and personable.

Also, for a position like this, the person needs to be very dedicated to their work. When a big premiere (or in the case of the music industry, a record release) is coming up, long hours at work are definitely required. Since I love music so much, I would enjoy being involved in it in my daily life, and these long hours would not phase me.

The main thing I learned this summer about getting ahead in fields like the movie or music industry, is that it is all about experience and who you know. Luckily, I have a job at a successful marketing agency in Los Angeles, called The Regan Group , so I will start gaining these valuable contacts and experience quickly.

As we all scatter in search of our dream PR jobs, good luck to everyone! Keep in touch; if all goes according to plan, maybe in a few years I could get you backstage passes to your favorite band’s concert… or at least send you a free cd.

No comments: