Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Dream A Little Dream


The minute after my name is called and I walk across that stage, I'm running out the door, grabbing my pre-packed suitcase and boarding a plane for the illustrious New York City! The lights of Times Square dancing in the reflection of my Dolce sunglasses, the looming skyscrapers shielding me from the harsh sunlight and the ridiculously long, gas guzzling Escalade limos that will take me from event to event have been calling my name since the first time I set foot in the city that never sleeps. Start spreadin' the news, 'cause I am going to take this city by storm. I'll be planning lavish parties, movie premieres and Broadway spectacles before you can say "jazz hands." And then I woke up.
While it's extremely tempting to head East and see what kind of crawl space I can get for $2,000 a month in Manhattan, it's probably not going to happen any time soon.
Since the death of his mother more than two years ago, I've been taking care of my cousin, Tabe. Going from cousin to mom in an instant can make anyone take a second look at her future. Of course, I wouldn't trade him for the world. My dream is to be the best parent I can be. What does that take? Patience. Lots and lots of patience. I suppose I could also apply the R.A.C.E. model to toddlers, but somehow I think the only kind of race I'll be partaking in involves Lightning McQueen.
To be completely honest, while the glitz and glamour sure is fun, I'd love to be working in the non-profit sector. Being able to give back when I've been so richly blessed seems to be the only proper thing to do. Of course, I'd love to be involved with any organization that supports children. I am actually currently in the planning stages of a summer arts and athletics camp for Native American youth. As has been mentioned in previous blog entries, one must be able to plan on a dime when working for a non-profit, as well as be able to "work it" for donations, grants, etc. I guess we'll have to trade in those Dolce & Gabbana shades for some Dollar General sunglasses.
So, instead of boarding a private jet to New York, we'll be hopping on a Continental flight to Disney World after graduation, and, you know, I think I might like that a little better. And, who knows, maybe he'll want to go to art school in Manhattan!!

No comments: