Tuesday, May 6, 2008

My Dream Job in PR: And What It Will Take


Tina Bradley
May 6, 2008

My Dream Job in PR: And What It Will Take
Picture taken from:http://www.digitalfoodphotos.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/08/web_562x398_72dpi_foodstylists_fig04003.jpg

Initially, when I started college I had no idea of what I wanted to do. I struggled with the notion of being a teacher or a nurse. AIDS was a huge epidemic in the 90s and my father decided that if I were to go into the medical industry he would not fund my schooling. So that left me with teaching. After taking on a temporary position at my daughter’s school I realized teaching was out of the question. I think it takes the right kind of person to teach and I knew I wasn’t that person. What was I left with? I decided to think about things I enjoyed. I love working out, but the idea of being with various people and being somewhat responsible to the achievement of their overall happiness regarding their body was kind of frightening. What else could I do? I love to cook and I mean LOVE to cook. I don’t prefer cleanup by any means but cooking and baking have always been natural for me. I decided to embark on a new adventure as a food stylist. I began by going to the local bookstores and buying practically every cooking magazine I could find. I researched stylists and made a few contacts. Jennifer McLagan, food-stylist and author, was my contact that made a huge impact on me. Her distinguished career has taken her across the globe. McLagan is Australian born and is one of Canada’s most sought-after food stylists. (http://www.jennifermclagan.com/bio.htm) Talking with Ms. McLagan I heard of her tales of how she began in the business – Her husband worked in movies and was designing a set for a movie – The movie needed a kitchen and person who was familiar with. She was given the job in the 80s and is considered one of the founding “forefathers” in the business.
The food stylist’s job is to prepare the food to its best advantage for the photo. (http://www.foodportfolio.com/food_stylists/index.html) The overall objective of the stylist (and photographer) is to work as efficiently as possible to please the client and to this as quickly as possible. (http://www.foodportfolio.com/food_stylists/index.html) I didn’t realize the abundance of stylists in the profession until I decided to take on my goal of becoming a stylist.
As my research continued I discovered it’s not an easy line of work to get in to.
Other than doing what’s best for the client “the importance is to have fun.” (http://www.latartinegourmande.com/2007/06/09/styling-and-photographing-food-as-professions-profession-styliste-et-photographe-culinaires/) There are culinary schools available for training, however, The best way to break in to the market is to work as an assistant to a well-established stylist, and then branch out into having your own clients. (http://www.culinaryschools.com/being-a-food-stylist) A useful tool for those wanting to break into the business can get helpful information from this site: http://stilllifewith.com/2007/03/28/food-stylists/
Ms. McLagan mentioned to me the most profitable markets were New York City, California, Chicago and Dallas. So what’s a girl like me going to do? Move? Well, I knew that wasn’t going to happen. So I had to refocus my efforts but I wasn’t sure how to do it. I was sitting in my Intro to Advertising class at OU 3 years ago and we happened to have a guest speaker. I found out the Sonic Corporation based here in Oklahoma has food stylists. To my sheer amazement, I finally had formulated a plan. The plan is still in motion, but I feel confident one day that I will have the opportunity to fulfill my dream job.
1. Jennifer McLagan

No comments: