Wednesday, May 7, 2008

What I Want to be When I Grow Up


What I Want to be When I Grow Up

Caitlin Gooch

When I first started college at OU, I had so many different ideas running through my head about what I was going to do with my life. I thought about nursing, then I remembered I am deathly afraid of needles. Then I thought I might follow my dad's footsteps and become a lawyer, but then I remembered I hate confrontation. So I tried to think of what I was really good at and what I loved to do-work and communicate with people!

After declaring public relations as my major I began to wonder what exactly you do as a public relations professional. Taking classes and learning the formal definition was just not enough, so I had to find out for myself.

Last summer I was a privileged intern at Richards Partners-the public relations department at The Richards Group in Dallas. After 10 amazing weeks there, I knew that I had chosen the perfect profession for myself. Actually getting the chance to experience what you do as a pr professional was so much fun. Working with clients like Sub Zero, Michaels, and Patron tequila, allowed me to gain first-hand experience when working with clients that exist in the real world.

After such an incredible opportunity working at a real public relations firm, there was no doubt in my mind that I was headed on the right path for my perfect career.

Image available at: http://www.prsahouston.org/attachments/files/1124/PR-Day.jpg

No comments: