Tuesday, May 6, 2008

A Job in Entertainment PR- Getting One Toe in the Door

A career in public relations is difficult.  PR by nature is a very competitive industry. As the industry grows however (Department of Labor description concerning growing industry) garnering an entry-level job in a PR firm, company or position has become increasingly more competitive as well. Add to this the desire to work in Entertainment PR and the goal is almost unattainable.  Well, ALMOST means there is still a chance, right?

The most important element for acquiring a job in entertainment PR is networking (who you know). Sad to say, but its true. I applied for numerous jobs in the PR division of magazines and—through an inside connect of my own—learned that the jobs went to people who did not even place an application, but rather, knew someone. You can’t get angry because it’s the nature of the game.

The second most important element is knowing your craft. Once you get your foot in the door you must know what your doing and be confident in your skill-set. I once watched of video of a prominent PR practitioner working at Ogilvy and she commented that ‘who you know will only help you get in but after a few months it becomes very obvious if your qualified or not.’  Entertainment PR is very busy and sometimes you are thrown into the mix without much direction. You have to know what you are doing and do it well to survive.

One day I will trudge through the heavy Manhattan traffic, skyscrapers dwarfing my body.  Before entering one of the tall structures myself, I will head to the coffee shop at the bottom of the Time-Warner building, a daily ritual of mine.  While eating my buttery croissant on the way, I enter the elevator and head to the 34th floor.  I sit down behind my desk and clear a place for my hot chocolate; I never drink coffee.  I sigh, the media advisory and consumer research is due today but all I want to work on is my insider piece for Rolling Stone.  I guess that will just have to wait until after work.  I look over at the caller I.D. as the phone rings.  It’s my boss asking me to meet in her office for a new assignment on top of the ones I already have.  I take one last bite of my croissant before I head down the hall.  I’m going to be very busy today but instead of getting upset I smile.  This is what I’ve always wanted.  Welcome to the life of an entertainment publicist. 

My dream job as an entertainment publicist or entertainment PR practitioner takes determination and drive. I just need to get one foot, scratch that, one toe in the door and the rest will be up to me.

No comments: